World Habitat Day: Ministry of Lands and Housing (MLH)
Ministry of Lands and Housing (MLH)
To be a leading entity in the provision of efficient, sustainable and equitable use of land resources and facilitation of adequate housing provision to the citizenry of the country.
Facilitate the national socio economic development through sustainable and efficient use of our land resources for habitat, economic, social, and infrastructural needs through effective policy framework, regulations and provision of ancillary technical services to the citizenry of the country.
O Facilitate social, economic and environmental development through sustainable and efficient use of land resources;
O Facilitate affordable housing opportunities to families become home owners, through social housing allocation, Condominium and housing loans.
O Provide public infrastructure for the government and people of Seychelles through efficient procurement and management of projects
- Management of all state land including Acquisitions, Sales and Leases;
- Implementation of Land Bank Project, large scale Housing projects and small scale housing projects as per policy guideline and provision of Infrastructure (schools, hospital, walls etc...) through Infrastructure Department;
- Responsible for land policy and land related legislation
- Responsible for the surveying needs of the Government and all survey related Infrastructure including cadastral surveys;
- Developing the Geographic Information System (GIS) Centre (efficient use of acquired digital data throughout Government with the set objective of improving performance and decisionmaking in Government);
- Responsible for housing and provision of decent and affordable shelter as per requirements of the Seychelles Constitution and Government housing policy; and
- Management of the land and Housing Applications.
The Ministry of Lands and Housing has two affiliated entities, which fall under its purview. The Seychelles Planning Authority and Property Management Corporation (PMC).
The Ministry also works in close partnership with the Housing Finance Company (HFC).
World Habitat Day: Background
World Habitat Day was established in 1985 by the United Nations General Assembly through Resolution 40/202, and was first celebrated in 1986. It takes place on the first Monday of October. The theme for this year's World Habitat Day is Accelerating urban action for a carbon-free world.
The purpose of World Habitat Day is to reflect on the state of our towns and cities, and on the basic right of all to adequate shelter. It is also intended to remind the world that we all have the power and the responsibility to shape the future of our cities and towns.
Habitat Week: The Seychelles Context
In the Seychelles, traditionally, Habitat Day is celebrated on the 1st week of October, stretching the day into weeklong activities that put emphasis on Habitat and the highlighted theme. For this year, Habitat week will thus be celebrated from the 4th to the 9th of October with a full range of activities as per the attached calendar.
The Inter-department committee has adapted the international theme, above, to fit into the local context. This year’s celebration will thus be under the banner of “Akseler aksyon pour en meyer lanvironman”
Summary of Calendar of activities
The calendar of activities takes into consideration COVID 19 restrictions and targets audiences of different age groups. The activities are geared to give more information to applicants and the public at large on the various efforts the Government is making to improve/accelerate Housing programs and prepare the public in the Housing Sector on the eminent policy adjustment/changes. Another important aspect of the activities is to promote and educate more of different job opportunities in the field of Housing and Lands.
Media coverage requests highlighted